Friday, March 29, 2013

Robski Reviews: Pink, Partying and Passover

Pink brought her Truth About Love Tour to the TD Garden on 3/28/13 and for the first time since the late 90s I'm about to say..... last night I enjoyed Pink. After some serious pre-gaming at The Grand Canal I walked into The Garden to see a variety of men and women dressed in pink wigs, pink shirts, pink dresses, pink hats, pink glow sticks, pink nails, pink shoes. There was pink everywhere I hadn't seen that much pink since that time I was "experimenting" in the late 90's. 

Yes people we'll be doing vagina jokes today.


Before the show started I was drinking with some random lesbians at the bar outside the lodges entrance on the second level. There are few places to buy hard alcohol in TD Garden so your placement is everything otherwise you'll be standing in the "Shots" line with drunken party girls carrying oversized Frozen Margarita glasses bumping into you while looking for a bathroom. 

I'm 100% a Dyke Daddy, I get along better with lesbians than I do most gay men so I was having a blast and to top it off one woman even offered me $8 to buy my T-shirt and switch shirts with her. I told her I paid $35 for it but lesbians are known for being thrifty (e.g. Suze Orman) so I knew a lesbian $8 offer was a fair offer still I declined, I just wouldn't look right in a T-shirt covered in dream catchers.

I went in to the arena thinking it was going to be me and 20,000 lesbians and that I would be in hog-less heaven. Instead I got pockets of gays and lesbians but mostly a lot of young 40s boring white women. Behind us sat a group of 40 year old soccer mom types who talked the entire show, the only time the stopped talking was to sing along with the one song they knew "Sober" then back to talking and some bad dancing that made Elaine Benes' Seinfeld dance look like Swan Lake. 

The show was a lot like her 2009 Funhouse Tour there was a circus atmosphere complete with a pan sexual ringmaster type. The difference between the two tours is this one looked a lot more expensive with more dancers, fancier staging and pyrotechnics. There was also a lot more Cirque Du Soleil type high flying stunts in the air which delighted the lesbians around us to the point of what appeared to be seat wetting, would that make it Cirque De Solabia? 

Pink did all of her hits and some new album songs as well. She sounded and looked great, but she also appears to have softened a bit which as an artist is not such a bad thing. The last 2 songs of the night were the crowds favorites. First she sang "Get The Party Started" while strapped in (not on you dirty pig) a contraption that flew her above the crowd from the lodges to the balconies. 


Then the last song of the night was fan/lesbian favorite "Glitter In The Air" again she is roped in to a Cirque Se Solabia style apparatus and sings while dancers perform up in the air with her. By the end of the song she is drenched in water and spins around in her ropes getting the audience wet as well, not just the lesbians this time.  

For me this show was too similar to her last tour and lacked the audience connection she had with her last tour. I still enjoyed the show and was glad I went but not enough to make me want to go back when she returns to Boston in December.

If there was a loss of connection between Pink and her audience last night I am going to have to say it's because she now appeals to a broader and somewhat different audience than in previous shows. I am happy Pink is now getting a larger audience and selling out arenas because that means more money for her and in return we'll get more Pink (I just threw up a little after thinking about what I just typed). 

I do want more Pink and apparently the 5 foot fuzzy Jewish man next to me wants more Pink too, he freely offered the Jewish information to me BTW because it was a big deal for him and his wife to see a concert during Passover. Mr Littlejew danced the night away like he was lip synching for his LIFE in front of RuPaul, all while his wife kept the Jewish woman stereotype alive and well by not moving once during the entire performance. 

I love closet Jewish gays and their miserable wives, other peoples misery makes me feel alive inside, as Martha Stewart says "It's a good thing".


No comments:

Post a Comment