Sunday, March 17, 2013

Roadhorse: by Greg Catrambone


        There’s a game every town with snowfall plays, no one really knows they play it, but they do. I call it Roadhorse. Roadhorse happens after there’s a significant snowfall and you need to drive somewhere. While you are on the road you stay in previously made tire tracks for better traction. If you live in a city or nice town, the first made tracks you’re following are made from a snowplow or a big salt truck, someone who belongs on the road.  In towns like mine the first tire tracks in the snow are made by someone who just woke up that really needs cigarettes, or a pissed off teenager that thinks snowfall transforms the town in to “Hazard County”.
        Following these tracks (that can only be made by Optimus Prime having a stroke while being dragged away by Starscream) is a feeling of security and wonder. Secure with having traction and a lower chance of getting stuck, and the wonder of why these tracks swerve to the wrong side of the road, on the curb, or if this retard was driving backwards. I also wonder if this person knows how much power they have. With all the people blindly following this weirdo’s crazy example, we have officially become a cult. ‘Leader says if I drive dangerously close to oncoming traffic I’ll be safe’. ‘Leader says I’ll be better off if I clip the snow bank like he did’.    
        It was on one of these trips when I was playing “Roadhorse” (which is now second nature) and thinking that maybe Fred Flintstone would be the fastest cartoon character ever if he ran full speed without pulling a car with stone wheels, stone seats, and a canopy top that worked against him. Thinking this while risking my life, the falling snow around me lights up white and blue. If I was high I might have thought I was driving at the bottom of a fish tank. Looking in the rearview I see a cop car coming in close. I pull over, straying from the tracks. With the cop car forcing me to pull over in deep snow and knowing I’m stuck, I now get the feeling the cop car is going to knock my car’s books out of its hands, and call my car a faggot as it runs off to gym class.
        Both cars now stopped, the cop gets out and walks to my window. Talking in a concerned voice he asks “ Are you having trouble?”. I said, “No, the person before me was”. “And who is the person before you?”, he asked. “I don’t know I’m just trying to stay in their tracks for better traction”. “Really”, he said with razed eyebrows. “Well, that and to keep police evidence intact officer, this guy needs to be caught!”, I responded. He gives me a ticket shaking his head. He hands me the ticket and gets in his car. Knowing It’s going to take me some effort to get out of the snow, I wait for him to leave first. Good thing I did because I saw something amazing happen. A black hole of society formed in front of me. The cop pulls out and  drives off ahead of me and doesn’t know half his car is driving on the wrong side of the road until a big truck comes around the bend and almost hits him. I saw something amazing. A cop who gave me a ticket for driving like a crazy person had just unknowingly put his faith in a crazy person by blindly following in his or her tracks.
        When I saw this happen, I braced myself because if there were aliens watching our planet and they saw what just happened, that would have been the time to attack. I imagine them canceling their world-dominating plan that was decades in development and going with a less complicated plan. Something along the lines of making tire tracks leading off of cliffs, into trees, or just making tracks that lead the army in circles as they kill everyone. Maybe while the aliens are pissing themselves laughing at the sight of an authority figure doing something so stupid, they’ll treat the planet accordingly and activate a gigantic robotic arm that will hit the planet over and over again with a huge skipper hat.
           And that’s why I think there are no aliens out there watching us.  But my theory on why there is a Lock Ness Monster is a different story and will have to wait for another time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment